[Middlegen-user] Middlegen 2.0b1
Marco de Booy
2002-09-26 18:05:03 UTC
Hello,<br><br>
First of all I am glad to have the new version at my hands. I can not get
the CVS versions so I need to wait before a new release is brought
out.<br>
I worked for 3 days with MySQL 4.0 and JBoss 3.0/Tomcat 4.0.4. This
combination gave me errors on the EJB-QL for the flight.reservation SQL.
I have no idea to go around it. I also tried it with 1 simple 3 fields
table (PK which is an autosequence and 2 character fields not null). The
insert struts form gave me the error that the create was not present. It
was the create with only the 2 character fields.<br>
Fortunately I also can use Oracle/Weblogic. Here I got the example
working after a long while. I have, besides questions on the
MySQL/JBoss/Tomcat side, a few remarks.
<ul>
<li>In my opinion the ${unique.name} should be the one that you use for
your java classes (com.java.something) and the ${name} for the name of
the application components (ear, jar, war). In the build file they are
not used that way. Maybe this can change.
<li>If I want to generate multiple applications I always need to have a
full set of JARs in the lib directory. Maybe it is better to put this
directory in the middlegen root. This way only one set is needed. <li>Perhaps the same thing can be said for the build.properties. <li>In the cmp20-&lt;EJB&gt;-class-comments.txt the class is hard-coded.
Is there a way that it can be set to the interfacepackage?
<li>In the middlegen task in the middlegen tag the schema attribute is
empty. Shouldn't this be ${database.schema}?
<li>In the ejbdoclet task in the weblogic and jboss tag the datasource
attribute is 'hard-coded'. Shouldn't this be set in the weblogic.xml and
jboss.xml config file? The datasource is also used in the middlegen
task/middlegen tag.
</ul>Some questions are:
<ul>
<li>Can you put in an example for an Oracle Sequence or an autoincrement
primary key?
<li>A byte is used for a tiny int in MySQL. This causes problems when the
field contains a NULL value. Can this be set to an other type?
<li>When I have a date as a primary key there is a problem with some
methods. They use the predecated method java.sql.Date(String) and the
compilation stops. Why isn' t the same function used as for the 'normal'
date fields?
Marco de Booy<br>
Aslak Hellesoy
2002-09-26 20:54:02 UTC
Hi Marco,

In a mail long as this it's nice to be able to inline my comments in yours.
That's not easy since your mail is in HTML, so would you please consider
sending ASCII mail from now on? (Mailing list archives don't like HTML
either). I have changed your <ul> to <ol>, and I'll refer to numbers.

You can get the CVS version from anywhere. Just download cvsgrab.sf.net. It
works through firewalls and proxies.

1.. The purpose of ${unique-name} is to let n people build the sample, and
then deploy to the same server. If you comment out the 1st definition of it,
everybody will produce an ear where no names, jndi names or urls clash. (At
least on a windows box, where the COMPUTERNAME env var is usually set). It's
commented out, so if you don't modify it, it will equal "airline". I don't
really understand your suggestion here. What's wrong with the way it is?
2.. I'm assuming people will use the airline sample as a template, not a
home for all their applications. The best would be to use a property for
each required jar, and let people store them where they want. Then they
could have one local repository of jars and no need to copy jars from
project to project. Maven enforces this approach, and in the future, the
samples will too. I know it's not optimal now. I'll start with the property
approach I think.
3.. A common tactic is to load the properties file from the user's home
directory. There you can define all your globals. In projects where people
share environments, the location of the global properties file can be some
well-defined place in your source code repository.
4.. Good point. Very easy. Velocity variables can be used here. What you
want is in ${plugin.interfacepackage}.
5.. Yes it should. Fixed.
6.. Hehe. So it's better when it's hardcoded in a differen place? Ok.
changed.
More..

1.. Sorry, I can't. I haven't the faintest knowledge about Oracle. -But if
someone sends it to us, we'll add it of course.
2.. Yes, in the GUI. There is also an fr about more global typemappings:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=607975&group_id=360
44&atid=415993
3.. Does deprecation stop compilation? That's news to me. Anyway,
deprecated is bad. -But I don't understand what you mean. Can you be more
specific? File a bug report if it's a bug.
Your remarks make a lot of sense. I hope some of my answers do too. I love
detailed feedback like this. Keep it up!

Thanks,
Aslak
First of all I am glad to have the new version at my hands. I can not get
the CVS versions so I need to wait before a new release is brought out.
I worked for 3 days with MySQL 4.0 and JBoss 3.0/Tomcat 4.0.4. This
combination gave me errors on the EJB-QL for the flight.reservation SQL. I
have no idea to go around it. I also tried it with 1 simple 3 fields table
(PK which is an autosequence and 2 character fields not null). The insert
struts form gave me the error that the create was not present. It was the
create with only the 2 character fields.
Fortunately I also can use Oracle/Weblogic. Here I got the example working
after a long while. I have, besides questions on the MySQL/JBoss/Tomcat
side, a few remarks.
1.. In my opinion the ${unique.name} should be the one that you use for
your java classes (com.java.something) and the ${name} for the name of the
application components (ear, jar, war). In the build file they are not used
that way. Maybe this can change.
2.. If I want to generate multiple applications I always need to have a
full set of JARs in the lib directory. Maybe it is better to put this
directory in the middlegen root. This way only one set is needed.
3.. Perhaps the same thing can be said for the build.properties.
4.. In the cmp20-<EJB>-class-comments.txt the class is hard-coded. Is
there a way that it can be set to the interfacepackage?
5.. In the middlegen task in the middlegen tag the schema attribute is
empty. Shouldn't this be ${database.schema}?
6.. In the ejbdoclet task in the weblogic and jboss tag the datasource
attribute is 'hard-coded'. Shouldn't this be set in the weblogic.xml and
jboss.xml config file? The datasource is also used in the middlegen
task/middlegen tag.
Some questions are:
1.. Can you put in an example for an Oracle Sequence or an autoincrement
primary key?
2.. A byte is used for a tiny int in MySQL. This causes problems when
the field contains a NULL value. Can this be set to an other type?
3.. When I have a date as a primary key there is a problem with some
methods. They use the predecated method java.sql.Date(String) and the
compilation stops. Why isn' t the same function used as for the 'normal'
date fields?
I hope that these remarks make any sense and be of help.

Marco de Booy