[Middlegen-user] XMI plugin for Middlegen
Michael Henderson
2003-11-29 16:58:01 UTC
I'm a developer in the USA, making the switch from Java and
WebObjects into mainstream J2EE and getting up to speed by studying for
the J2EE Architect certification.

Since doing works better for me than reading I have been looking at
various open-source tools for design and modelling. Middlegen and
AndroMDA have both caught my eye. I noticed a commented out XMI plugin
in the samples, but only after I had started on my own plugin.

It's a first cut but it can generate plain XMI and the Poseidon model
file format.

I had to change the generate() method signature in Plugin.java to:

protected generate();

In order to have my plugin class override the generation process to be
able to create the Poseidon ZIP model file from two files produced by
FileProducers.

The plugin can be invoked from a middlegen ant task with:

<xmi fileprefix="${name}" package="${name}" format="poseidon"
destination="${build.xmi.dir}"
/>

The format can be "poseidon" or "xmi"

The XMI has tagged values for the SQL information in the class and
attributes in the output model and I have made a first pass at
incorporating the stereotypes and tagged values described in the
AndroMDA documentation.

The attachment includes both the XMI and Poseidon output from the
example schema used in the samples and a modified Poseidon model with a
diagram added to the model showing the classes and associations.

The Poseidon models can be opened with the free community edition.

I would be happy to continue on with this, perhaps firm up the AndroMDA
tagging, add the ejb xdoclet javadoc tags which Poseidon can display in
the source tab.

To whom do I send my code for checking/submission, mail to alex at
bekk.no bounced back at me.

I may try to add the "omondo" repository format as an output format,
although the free eclipse plugin

Regards,

Michael Henderson
http://www.mjhenderson.com
Aslak Hellesøy
2003-11-29 18:12:01 UTC
Post by Michael Henderson
Hi,
[...]
Hi Michael. Great! Please post it here:

http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?id=10110

Aslak
Michael Henderson
2003-11-29 20:41:02 UTC

I created a new issue, entitled "XMI Plugin" and atteched the jar,
source code and the XMI and zuml files generated by running the plugin
on the sample schema. (a second zuml file airline2.zuml was created by
editing the first, creating a class diagram, about 2 minutes work in
all).

Mike
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
Hi,