[Middlegen-user] About MiddlegenIDE 1.1.0
Takashi Okamoto
2005-03-02 12:27:47 UTC
Hi all,

I'm preparing MiddlegenIDE 1.1.0. New feature is:

+ EJB(CMP)2.x and EJB3(CMP3) support.
+ Multiple jar support for SQLServer 2000. You could setup multiple
jar for your eclipse project classpath. For example, you can setup
msbase.jar and msutil.jar for your eclipse project toload
mssqlserver.jar by MiddlegenIDE.

Pre released plugin is available here:

http://tidus.ultimania.org/tmp/middlegenide_1.1.0pre2.zipp

I'll appreciate any comment and feed back.

regards,

Takashi Okamoto
Todd Nine
2005-03-03 03:07:38 UTC
Takashi,
Just to clarify, I also wanted to make sure that multiple jars are
supported for DB2. The DB2 type 4 drivers require the driver jar, as
well as two driver jars.

Hi all,
Todd Nine
2005-03-03 11:37:54 UTC
Takashi,
Just and FYI, I just downloaded your release (you have an extra p
on the zip :-) ), and I am having issues with multple jar files for
DB2 Drivers. I have the 3 jars in my projects classpath, db2jcc.jar,
db2jcc_liscence_cu.jar, and db2jcc_liscence_cisuz.jar. Here are the
steps to re-create

1. File -> New -> Middlegen Build file
2. Select the db2jcc.jar file
3. Select com.ibm.db2.jcc.DB2Driver as the driver class
4. Input URL, user, password, and schema
5. Press Load table
6. Select plugin = EJB, Option EJB Version = 2.x
7. Select a table and hit run
8. I then receive the error from the DB2 driver that the liscence
could not be found, which means that the liscence jars are not on the
classpath.

This plugin looks like it has great potential, and its much easier
than writing your own ant file to launch middlegen. I hope this helps
in your development.

Todd
Post by Todd Nine
Takashi,
Just to clarify, I also wanted to make sure that multiple jars are
supported for DB2. The DB2 type 4 drivers require the driver jar, as
well as two driver jars.
On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 23:20:41 +0900 (LMT), Takashi Okamoto
Hi all,
Takashi Okamoto
2005-03-05 13:11:42 UTC
Hi Todd,

Thanks for your comment. Please read following comment.

From: Todd Nine <***@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Middlegen-user] About MiddlegenIDE 1.1.0
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 08:35:55 -0500
Post by Todd Nine
Just and FYI, I just downloaded your release (you have an extra p
on the zip :-) ), and I am having issues with multple jar files for
DB2 Drivers. I have the 3 jars in my projects classpath, db2jcc.jar,
db2jcc_liscence_cu.jar, and db2jcc_liscence_cisuz.jar. Here are the
steps to re-create
1. File -> New -> Middlegen Build file
2. Select the db2jcc.jar file
3. Select com.ibm.db2.jcc.DB2Driver as the driver class
To support muiltiple jar, please add required jar to classpath of
your eclipse project. Above case, you have to set db2jcc_license_cu.jar
and db2jcc_license_cisuz.jar at your eclipse project. Then, you could
load JDBC driver to add db2jcc.jar at JDBC jar field.

BTW, updated middlegenide is available here
http://tidus.ultimania.org/tmp/middlegenide_1.1.0pre3.zip. I recommend
this version though it is still under development.

Takashi Okamoto
Mal
2005-03-16 11:23:00 UTC
Hi Takashi,

As far as I can tell the table selector on this release has stopped
working, rather than producing the E-R diagram with only the selected
table in it, it takes a few minutes and brings back all tables.

Cheers,

Mal

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 23:20:41 +0900 (LMT), Takashi Okamoto
Hi all,
Takashi Okamoto
2005-03-16 13:30:19 UTC
Hi Mal,

I can not find the reason you mention. Does anybody have same problem?

thanks,

Takashi Okamoto

Mal
2005-03-16 13:57:16 UTC
For info, I'm connecting to Oracle 10G using jdbc classes12.jar. It all
connects fine and lists the tables, it lets me highlight whichever tables
I need. But, when I choose to generate the middlegen-build.xml, the ER
Diagram screen comes up with all tables in the schema.

Takashi Okamoto
2005-03-16 14:10:21 UTC
Hi Mal,

I found. When I migrate Swing UI into SWT, it broke. I will fix it in next release.

thanks,

Takashi Okamoto

Mal
2005-03-16 14:19:35 UTC
My pleasure Takashi, your Middlegen IDE has been very handy during my
development. Anything I can do to help.

I've also found it to work very slowly, maybe about 8 minutes for
generating the ER diagram for 6 tables. I'm not sure, but I think it may
be the jdbc to Oracle 10G as other things have slowed down since moving to
10G I'll let you know.

Mal

Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:21:14 -0000
Post by Mal
Hi Takashi,
As far as I can tell the table selector on this release has stopped
working, rather than producing the E-R diagram with only the selected
table in it, it takes a few minutes and brings back all tables.
Cheers,
Mal
On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 23:20:41 +0900 (LMT), Takashi Okamoto
Hi all,
Post by Takashi Okamoto
Post by Mal
Post by Takashi Okamoto
msbase.jar and msutil.jar for your eclipse project toload
mssqlserver.jar by MiddlegenIDE.
http://tidus.ultimania.org/tmp/middlegenide_1.1.0pre2.zipp
I'll appreciate any comment and feed back.
regards,
Takashi Okamoto
Read honest & candid reviews on hundreds of IT Products from real
users.
Post by Takashi Okamoto
Discover which products truly live up to the hype. Start reading
now.
Post by Takashi Okamoto
Post by Takashi Okamoto
Mal
2005-03-22 11:06:05 UTC
Hi Takashi,

All is looking good on the latest version for me in terms of oracle 10g
and table/view selection and Hibernate code generation.

A thought on the ER diagram window:

In the case of re-visiting a large schema such as the one I'm working on,
it seems that working on partial selection of tables doesn't fully
generate all the composite IDs if I leave one of the connecting tables out
of the ER diagram to only work on table structures that have changed:

For example, if I have a set of 4 connected tables that I am changing in
the database and go to regenerate the hibernate code, only bringing in the
4 tables into the ER window and leaving the other tables that have foreign
key connectios to these 4 tables off the diagram, when I compile and
deploy these in a .sar I will get:

ERROR [net.sf.hibernate.cfg.Configuration] Could not compile the mapping
document
net.sf.hibernate.MappingException: composite-id class must override
equals(): com.orchid.vision.hibernate.vision.TblPltInstCpAssy

In JBoss.

Just a thought, best wishes,

2005-03-16 16:46:00 UTC
Post by Takashi Okamoto
I can not find the reason you mention. Does anybody have same problem?
Takashi Okamoto
I choose the tables from my Oracle database and press the "Finish" button; unfortunately, no table diagram is displayed. The wizard just closes.

Other problems:

1.) A middlegen-build.xml file is generated in the Eclipse project directory when the "Finish" button is clicked but it isn't added to the Eclipse Package Explorer tree. Also, the build file generated is incomplete with no reference to the tables I selected:

http://engel.us/middlegen-build.xml

2.) Items other than tables are displayed in the Middlegen wizard's list box:

-- Mark

Mal
Takashi Okamoto
2005-03-16 20:46:49 UTC

I have a test release though it's not official. It was fixed these problem. Could you try it?

http://ultimania.org/middlegenide/download/middlegenide_1.1.1.zip

thanks,

Takashi Okamoto

From: n7sf-***@spamex.com
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:38:29 -0500
Post by n***@spamex.com
Post by Takashi Okamoto
I can not find the reason you mention. Does anybody have same problem?
Takashi Okamoto
I choose the tables from my Oracle database and press the "Finish" button; unfortunately, no table diagram is displayed. The wizard just closes.
http://engel.us/middlegen-table-selection.jpg
http://engel.us/middlegen-build.xml
http://engel.us/middlegen-bad-tables.jpg
-- Mark
Wouter Boers
2005-03-16 18:37:16 UTC
Hello All,

I have been working with middlgen for quite some while now and have
intergrated in 6 major projects I am currently working for.

There have been a few drawbacks in using middlegen where the biggest issues
are:

The middlegen plugin
The EJB template

Additions and Changes to the middlegen plugin.
- Support for weblogic
- Support for oracle
- Support for oracle sequences
- Fixed the bug in support for multiple databases
- Support for custom template for EJB20.

I must say compliments to the orignal author of the plugin. It's very clean
and well set-up.

For the EJB20 template I have also made a few changes.
- Support for multiple foreign key relations to the same table. Example
table "person" had two phonenumers and the country code of these numbers are
set with a FK to a table country. When two of more of these relation exists.
The - - Bean generated by middlegen and run through Xdoclet will result in
uncompilable code and also incorrect code.
Improved the support for Value Object. The original template does not
utilize Xdoclet completely. This has tempate section is basically rewritten.
- Planned addition: support for oracle BLOB and CLOB
- Further enhancements on the hibernate section of the middlegen plugin.

I will very gladly put them back into the project to get incorporated in
future releases. How to go about it? For the EJB20 template I can check them
into CVS if I can get the right permission. For the Middlegen plugin there
seems to be not repository, is that true?. Perhaps a good idea would be to
create one? So the key question is:

Will middlegen benefit from it? I think so.
Secondly where or to who'm do I submit these changes?

Regards, Wouter