[Middlegen-user] web page generation
Stefan Groschupf
2003-03-11 19:11:13 UTC
i'm a new user of middlegen, can someone point me on a document that
describe how
middlegen generate the webfront end, whats happen behind the scene?
I had tried middlegen 2.0 betta but under the struts rider, wasn't something
to see.

Can someone give me a hint?

Thanks Stefan
Eivind Waaler
2003-03-11 19:36:05 UTC
Hi, i'm guessing you mean the struts tabs in the gui. Those are meant for
specifying preferences for the plugin (see for example the cmp plugin
tab). This has not yet been implemented on the struts plugin, and the tabs
are empty..

Regards
.eivind w.
Hi,
Stefan Groschupf
2003-03-11 19:48:10 UTC
Post by Eivind Waaler
This has not yet been implemented on the struts plugin, and the tabs
are empty..
Does the generation work without it?
What happen behind the scene? How and what will be gernerated?
Sorry can't find something on the webpage.

Thanks Stefan
Stefan Groschupf
2003-03-11 20:10:54 UTC

what I have to do to "hack" the struts plugin to generate xml and xslt
struts sources? (model2)
Can I use the struts plugin "standalone"? I have a set of ejbs and want to
generate the struts sources.

Thanks for any hints!
Stefan
Eivind Waaler
2003-03-11 20:22:09 UTC
Post by Stefan Groschupf
Post by Eivind Waaler
This has not yet been implemented on the struts plugin, and the tabs
are empty..
Does the generation work without it?
Yes it does. Take a look in the following directories:
samples/build/gen-src/airline/web/struts - Generated actions and forms
samples/build/gen-webui/struts - Generated jsp files
Post by Stefan Groschupf
What happen behind the scene? How and what will be gernerated?
Briefly middlegen builds an object model from the jdbc meta data. The
struts plugin is basically a set of velocity templates (one for each kind
of file to generate) and a java plugin file controlling this. Take a look
in the plugins/struts/src/middlegen/plugins/struts directory to see this.
Post by Stefan Groschupf
Sorry can't find something on the webpage.
I guess this plugin hasn't been that well documented yet. Also with things
like a web application, best thing we can do is given an example of how to
generate it. For specific stuff in an actual project, you'd probably have
to write your own struts plugin or modify the one already in there.

.eivind
Post by Stefan Groschupf
Thanks Stefan
Eivind Waaler
2003-03-11 20:28:01 UTC
To hack the plugin take a look at the files in the plugins/struts
directory (as mentioned in previous mail).

Have a look at the webpage to see how to add your own template files:
http://boss.bekk.no/boss/middlegen/plugins/index.html

Using the plugin "standalone" will work as long as you want to generate
code based on the tables in your database. Ofcourse you'd need to rewrite
it to access your own ejbs instead of the generated ones if they are
different..

.eivind w.
Hi,