[Middlegen-user] Postgres Driver
Russell Black
2003-01-02 02:03:13 UTC
Middlegen only works with the postgres driver in the middlegen download, and fails when it uses any of the drivers found at jdbc.postgresql.org (supposedly the latest stuff). The database metadata APIs don't appear to be working in the jars at jdbc.postgresql.org.

The latest drivers contain bug fixes which I'd like to have, but since they don't work with middlegen, I have to use one jar for middlegen and another for my J2EE deployment. Is the postgresql.jar file that middlegen uses a one-off? Did someone make some fixes to the metadata APIs so this would work with middlegen, which didn't get applied to the official codebase?
a***@netcom.no
2003-01-02 11:26:01 UTC
The PostgreSQL drivers are buggy. I fixed 2-3 bugs in it 5-6 months ago
and sent patches to the maintainers of the PostgreSQL driver. I had a
hard time convincing them that their code was bad, and they ended up
rejecting my fixes. So I built the PostgreSQL driver myself and put it
in Middlegen's CVS. Unfortunately, I no longer have the source code for
my fixes (and I couldn't find PostgreSQL's bug tracker). -So my fixes
to the PostgreSQL driver are probably lost.

Why can't you use the hacked driver with Middlegen and the official
driver with your app? I mean, are these new features required for
Middlegen?

If you could be more specific about what's wrong with the latest
PostgreSQL drivers, perhaps you could notify the developers so they can
fix it?

Aslak

Russell Black
2003-01-02 16:21:39 UTC
Yes, I am having to use two separate drivers.

I tried middlegen about a year ago, using the latest JDBC driver at the
time. It had problems, so I fixed the driver, sent in the patch, and they
told me it had already been done. I guess not.