[Middlegen-user] Oracle problem
Phil Grimm
2002-01-24 19:24:02 UTC
Hi guys,
I'm trying to use middlegen to read a schema from oracle. It runs for some
time and then throws a java.lang.OutOfMemoryError.
I increase the JVM heap, and it just takes longer.

Does this sound like the problem others are having with Oracle?
Phil Grimm
Applications Architect - Java
Phone: (415) 402-2907
Mobile: (925) 683-9528
Totality Corporation
44 Montgomery St. Suite 500
San Francisco, CA 94104
"Application and Infrastructure Management (AIM) for E-Business"
a***@netcom.no
2002-01-24 20:38:05 UTC
Sounds like an infinite loop somewhere.

I presume you're using the CVS version. If you're not, you should try that.
If the problem applies to the CVS version (which you'll have to compile) ,
here is what you should do:

-Run the configlog4j Ant target (it'll pop up a gui), and turn on debug
logging for the SchemaFactory (that's probably where the bug is)
-Rebuild and try again.
-Try to figure out what section of the code that loops infinitely. If you
don't see any log statements,
that probably means the "bad code" doesn't have any log statements in it.
Try to insert some more log statements.

This should help you localise the bug, and maybe you can even fix it. If
not, perhaps you can at least send me some
info about log output and the code if you modified it.

I would have done this myself if I had Oracle, but I don't, so I hope you
can help fixing this.

Cheers,
Aslak
Phil Grimm
2002-01-24 23:38:02 UTC
Ok, dumb pilot error :)
I was leaving Schema name blank, and it was trying to read every table in
the database.
Once I specified the Schema name, it read my 4 tables.

Thanks!

Shaw, Chris
2002-01-25 07:26:02 UTC

I'm having exactly the same problem; but I *am* specifying a valid schema
name (and my schema contains only 10 tables anyway).
It's with Oracle Thin or OCI Driver (though the sample hsqldb database
schema with Bands reads ok).

Unfortunately:
i) I am blocked from using CVS at work
ii) I do not have Oracle at home
iii) I don't want to use CVS at home and e-mail the zip file to work

Is there some other way I can get the latest built jar file?
(I'm using the version 0.4 beta on NT)

Chris
-=-=-=

PS - when I exit the GUI I am not returned to the command prompt until I
CTRL+C

RE: Oracle problem
2002-01-24 17:37
[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chris Shaw
European Central Bank
DG Information Systems
* +49 (0) 69 1344 7764
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Any e-mail message from the European Central Bank (ECB) is sent in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by the ECB except where provided for in a written agreement.
This e-mail is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above. Any unauthorised disclosure, use or dissemination, either in whole or in part, is prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately via e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system.
t***@att.net
2002-01-25 19:26:02 UTC
Chris,

I can send you my CVS build of the middlegen*.jar file
(about 91KB) via e-mail if you want. I did make some
local modes though that you may not want - or maybe you
do. Also contains a schema/table selection panel which
ignores the connection settings properties. I'd be
interested in feedback.

Tim
Hi,