[Middlegen-user] Middlegen roadmap and new home at codehaus
Aslak Hellesøy
2003-05-12 09:53:09 UTC
Hi all Middlegen friends!

(if you reply, please exclude the middlegen-devel and middlegen-announce
lists).

Middlegen is being heavily refactored (into an upcoming 3.0 release), and
will soon get a new home at codehaus.org...

++++++++++++ Some words about the refactorings and the roadmap ++++++++++++

o Middlegen will get a much cleaner internal datamodel
(Table,Column,ForeignKey,PrimaryKey,Reference,Relation).
o Perhaps a merge of the datamodel/database scanner with Jakarta Commons
SQL. (Will get back to you James ;-))
o Use of AOP/Dynamic Proxies for simpler plugin development.
o Use the generic code plugin/generation framework provided by XDoclet2.
o C# plugin for the NEO framework (http://neo.sourceforge.net/plan.html).
o IDE integration (IntelliJ IDEA will be prioritised). Maybe Eclipse and
others later.

++++++++++++ And the moving process (codehaus.org) ++++++++++++

Website : http://middlegen.codehaus.org/
CVS : :pserver:***@cvs.codehaus.org:/cvsroot/middlegen (or
:ext:you: for developers)
Bug tracker : http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?id=10110

So how will things be migrated? Here is my suggestion:

o Website
o The old website at http://boss.bekk.no/boss/middlegen/
will be removed and just forward to
http://middlegen.codehaus.org/archive/middlegen-2.0-b2-HEAD/

o The nightly build process for Middlegen 2.0-b2-HEAD will be moved to
codehaus.

o CVS
o Eivind will continue to improve the CVS branch on SF adding value object
support for cmp2.
o Aslak will finish the refactorings in the new CVS repository.
o All developers (Eivind, Aslak, Ludovic(?), Newcomers(!!??) will migrate
plugins by hand to the new CVS.
o All developers should familiraise themselves with our new portal
http://codehaus.org/
and create a linux/cvs account here.

o Bug tracker
o All open issues at SF will get a corresponding JIRA issue linking to the
old one.
o All current issues at SF will be closed with a comment and link to the
"new" JIRA issue.
o The SF bug tracker will have a big red banner saying "THIS TRACKER IS
CLOSED" and a link to our new JIRA.

o Mailing lists
o The mailing lists at SF will be closed for submission (but still
archived)
o All subscribers will be moved from the old to the new lists by the
Middlegen team when the time is right.

Thoughts on this? Questions? (I would think so ;-) )

Aslak
Kuntz, Tim
2003-05-12 11:58:17 UTC
Thanks for the heads-up and roadmap, Aslak. If possible though, could you
let us know _why_ the move from sf? Should we expect a similar move with the
XDoclet project?

thanks,
tim

www.enterpriselinuxforum.com