[Middlegen-user] Mixing Middlegen and Druid.
ROSSEL Olivier
2003-03-11 12:10:16 UTC
Middlegen is very good at showing interactively a database structure.
And at generating code/conf.

Druid is another open-source piece of software, that is more dedicated to
database
modelling.

Both tools are quite neat.
Mixing them would be a really nice thing.

At the moment, I want to do that, and am looking for any info
about the Java internal data model that is maintained by Middlegen:

I suppose Middlegen uses JDBC meta datas to create an internal
model that is used both for display and for code generation.

Druid has almost that behaviour, and in my scope, I want to provide a
static class to pass from one data model to the other, so both apps
can be merged.

Any help/idea is welcome.

---cut here---

This e-mail is intended only for the above addressee. It may contain
privileged information. If you are not the addressee you must not copy,
distribute, disclose or use any of the information in it. If you have
received it in error please delete it and immediately notify the sender.
Security Notice: all e-mail, sent to or from this address, may be
accessed by someone other than the recipient, for system management and
security reasons. This access is controlled under Regulation of
Investigatory Powers Act 2000, Lawful Business Practises.
Aslak Hellesøy
2003-03-11 18:57:08 UTC
Olivier
Sent: 11. mars 2003 14:58
Subject: [Middlegen-user] Mixing Middlegen and Druid.
Middlegen is very good at showing interactively a database structure.
And at generating code/conf.
Druid is another open-source piece of software, that is more dedicated to
database
modelling.
Both tools are quite neat.
Mixing them would be a really nice thing.
At the moment, I want to do that, and am looking for any info
I started on a refactoring of Middlegen's data model about a month ago. The
next generation of Middlegen will take advantage of XDoclet 2's (also under
development) flexible architecture. These refactorings will move the
internal data model of XDoclet closer to that of Commons SQL, and combined
with XDoclet 2 it will be even easier to write plugins for Middlegen.

I have been talking with James Strachan (who maintains Jakarta Commons SQL)
to merge Middlegen's core and Commons SQL. That's my main priority right
now. I suggest you wait and see what comes out of this refactoring, and then
we can discuss whether Druid fits into the picture.
I suppose Middlegen uses JDBC meta datas to create an internal
model that is used both for display and for code generation.
Correct.
Druid has almost that behaviour, and in my scope, I want to provide a
static class to pass from one data model to the other, so both apps
can be merged.
I think the best would be to move Middlegen's logic for reading and building
the data model into Commons SQL. Then Middlegen and Druid would just use
Commons SQL as a core library. If a merger with Commons SQL is not possible,
you should still be able to use the core part of Middlegen in Druid.
Any help/idea is welcome.
Let's hear what James has to say.

Cheers,
Aslak
James Strachan
2003-03-12 09:03:01 UTC
2003-03-12 07:27:01 UTC
Post by ROSSEL Olivier
Any help/idea is welcome.
Let's hear what James has to say.
Sticking to a common SQL data model would be a HUGE improvement.
But then what?
A common XML file to describe the data model?
Then what?
Some kind of common API for OR mappers?
Then what?
A kind of pluggable OR mapper?
(rm ./hibernate.jar && cp torque.jar .).

Hummm, that sounds like total world domination :-))