[Middlegen-user] anyone try UML2EJB?
k***@keysolutions.com
2003-01-09 19:56:17 UTC
http://uml2ejb.sourceforge.net

It seems complementary to MiddleGen. You'd use MiddleGen if you
already have a database you need to create EJBs for. You'd use
UML2EJB
if you are starting from scratch...

ken
Rod Macpherson
2003-01-09 20:06:02 UTC
Yes, I like this idea and there are commercial products like Rational
Rose and TogetherSoft (bought by Borland for a cool 180 million) that
can benefit from the open-source competition! I used middlegen to
regenerate EJBs from an existing schema and an existing J2EE application
that a highly customized value-object interface: velocity scripts
combined with middlegen engine did the trick. My only comment on
middlegen is that the documentation is weak in some areas. That is a
comment not a complaint. Perhaps somebody will volunteer to polish that
and it's something Middlegen could charge a nominal fee for in addition
to our gratitude for their excellent tool.

Aslak Hellesoy
2003-01-09 23:10:05 UTC
Yes, I like this idea and there are commercial products like Rational
Rose and TogetherSoft (bought by Borland for a cool 180 million) that
can benefit from the open-source competition! I used middlegen to
regenerate EJBs from an existing schema and an existing J2EE application
that a highly customized value-object interface: velocity scripts
combined with middlegen engine did the trick. My only comment on
middlegen is that the documentation is weak in some areas. That is a
comment not a complaint. Perhaps somebody will volunteer to polish that
and it's something Middlegen could charge a nominal fee for in addition
to our gratitude for their excellent tool.
Before we can sell docs, they have to be excellent. And writing excellent
docs is another commitment we (at least I) don't have time for. So I guess
"ok" docs is what you'll have for a while + "ok" email support.

Anyway, please submit a feature request for any particular kind of
documentation you're missing, and we'll try to improve it.

Thanks,
Aslak