[Middlegen-user] Problem when compiling
Dos Santos
2003-05-09 19:27:08 UTC
Hi all! I'm new with middlegen and I'm trying to run
it with JBoss and MSSQL. I already created my tables
and the gui interface shows them without a problem, it
has no problem generating either.

I'm trying to use PK classes instead of String or any
other java class. When I close the interface and it
compiles it throws the following exceptions:

[javac]
C:\middlegen-2.0-b1\samples\build\gen-src\tellarian\web\struts\Updat
eDemoClientAction.java:65: incompatible types
[javac] found : java.lang.String
[javac] required:
tellarian.interfaces.DemoClientPK
[javac] tellarian.interfaces.DemoClientPK
demoClient_PK = demoClien
tForm.getLogin();
[javac]
^

it always seems to have problems with the Update
classes. Does anybody know why? I would really
appreciate any help you could give me.

http://search.yahoo.com
Dos Santos
2003-05-13 13:42:03 UTC
Hello, I posted this question last week but nobody
seems to know what to do about it. Does anybody know
of another source of information regarding Middlegen?

Thanks for your help.

Regards
http://search.yahoo.com
D***@nascopgh.com
2003-05-13 13:49:07 UTC
You're assigning a string from getLogon() to a variable declared as a
"tellarian.interfaces.DemoClientPK." You probably need to look at the
interface defined in tellarian.interfaces.DemoClientPK and figure out how
to assign the String to the correct PK field.

Dave

Dos Santos
<***@yahoo.com> To: middlegen-***@lists.sourceforge.net
Sent by: cc:
middlegen-user-***@lists.sour Subject: Re: [Middlegen-user] Problem when compiling
ceforge.net

05/13/2003 11:40 AM
Please respond to
middlegen-user

www.enterpriselinuxforum.com
Dos Santos
2003-05-13 13:54:08 UTC
The thing is that this code is generated by Middlegen,
not myself. The tables in the database were created
manually with sql scripts because I already had them
before I started working with Middlegen.

What you mean to tell me is that even though Middlegen
generated that code I have to tweak it manually? Is
that usually the case?

Thanks David for your response, I truly appreciate it!
http://search.yahoo.com
Aslak Hellesoy
2003-05-13 13:58:02 UTC
The struts plugin is broken, and doesn't always produce compilable code.

Aslak
Dos Santos
2003-05-13 14:00:17 UTC
Hey Aslak! What would you suggest I do? Fix all the
files so that they compile?
http://search.yahoo.com
Dos Santos
Post by Dos Santos
Hi all! I'm new with middlegen and I'm trying
Post by Aslak Hellesoy
run
Post by Dos Santos
any
other java class. When I close the interface
and
Post by Aslak Hellesoy
it
Post by Dos Santos
Post by Aslak Hellesoy
Post by Dos Santos
classes. Does anybody know why? I would really
appreciate any help you could give me.
http://search.yahoo.com
Post by Dos Santos
Post by Aslak Hellesoy
Enterprise Linux Forum Conference & Expo, June
4-6, 2003, Santa Clara
The only event dedicated to issues related to
Linux enterprise solutions
Post by Aslak Hellesoy
2003, Santa Clara
The only event dedicated to issues related to
Linux
enterprise solutions
http://search.yahoo.com
D***@nascopgh.com
2003-05-13 14:08:08 UTC
Dos,

Though I've done a lot of digging into the guts of Middlegen lately (not
because I wanted to!), but I haven't dealt w/ the demo stuff at all. I
don't know where the code in demoClientForm comes from, if it's generated
by Middlegen via Velocity or XDoclet, or if it's hand-written.

Now, Middlegen is pretty configurable (though that configurability is not
well documented: I find that as w/ some other OSS tools, until some
knowledgeable user steps up to write some first-class docs, the sources are
the docs): for instance, if you don't like the way Middlegen converts DB
names to Java names, you can subclass middlegen.DbNameConverter and use
that; you can write your own Velocity templates

Dos Santos
<***@yahoo.com> To: middlegen-***@lists.sourceforge.net
Sent by: cc:
middlegen-user-***@lists.sour Subject: Re: [Middlegen-user] Problem when compiling
ceforge.net

05/13/2003 11:53 AM
Please respond to
middlegen-user

Dos Santos
2003-05-13 14:17:03 UTC
Thanks for your input David. Just to clarify a little
bit, the word "demo" in my classes is because my
tables are called demo_something. This has nothing to
do with middleGen samples or anything.

What I was wondering now is if I could disable the
struts plugin. Is this viable at all?

Thanks again.
Post by D***@nascopgh.com
Post by D***@nascopgh.com
Post by D***@nascopgh.com
Enterprise Linux Forum Conference & Expo, June
4-6,
=== message truncated ===

http://search.yahoo.com
D***@nascopgh.com
2003-05-13 14:19:05 UTC
Sure, just comment out the struts part of the build.xml file.

Dave

Dos Santos
<***@yahoo.com> To: middlegen-***@lists.sourceforge.net
Sent by: cc:
middlegen-user-***@lists.sour Subject: Re: [Middlegen-user] Problem when compiling
ceforge.net

05/13/2003 12:15 PM
Please respond to
middlegen-user

Aslak Hellesoy
2003-05-13 14:22:07 UTC
Santos
Sent: 13. mai 2003 18:07
Is there any way in which I could disable the struts
plugin?
just don't use it. lose the <struts> in your build.xml

aslak
Aslak Hellesoy
2003-05-13 14:22:09 UTC
Santos
Sent: 13. mai 2003 18:00
Hey Aslak! What would you suggest I do? Fix all the
files so that they compile?
yes. or fix middlegen ;-)

aslak
D***@nascopgh.com
2003-05-13 14:29:02 UTC
Also, the build.xml file in the "samples" directory is *really* just a
sample. I imagine it's assumed that you'll adapt it or write your own to
suit your environment.

I've had to
a) write my own cmp-entity template
b) extend DbNameConverter
c) add methods to TableDecorator (to filter out columns that Middlegen felt
were neccessary but because I'm using a base Entity class which deals w/
those fields in a standard way, caused Middlegen to be incorrect)
d) change the build.xml file.

So far, I've developed a real love/hate relationship w/ Middlegen. It leans
toward the "love" side most of the time ;-) But it does (IMO) require a lot
of reading of source code, 3rd party docs (Velocity) and many manual tweaks
to get it to do exactly what you want (unless your environment is what
Middlegen thinks of as "standard").

Good luck, hopefully the users on this list can answer any questions you
might have.

Dave

***@nascopgh.com
Sent by: To: middlegen-***@lists.sourceforge.net
middlegen-user-***@lists.sour cc:
ceforge.net Subject: Re: [Middlegen-user] Problem when compiling

05/13/2003 12:14 PM
Please respond to
middlegen-user

Dos Santos
2003-05-13 14:31:07 UTC
I've tried this before with no luck :( . But I shall
try it again and see what happens.

Should I lose even tags like this one:
<strutsconfigxml> ?
http://search.yahoo.com
Rod Macpherson
2003-05-13 14:57:05 UTC
This should give you an idea of what you need and what you don't need. I
have left out the ANT classpath and some variable definitions but this
is pretty much all there is to using Middlegen with Xdoclet:
generate-beans, generate-interface, end of story:) In my case we are
targetting Oracle 9i and JBoss 3.X. Middlegen has been a real time saver
for us, big time.

<target name="generate-beans">
<taskdef name="middlegen"
classname="middlegen.MiddlegenTask" classpathref="classpath"/>
<middlegen appname="${title}" prefsdir="${config}" gui="false"
databaseurl="${database.url}"
datasourceJNDIName="OracleDSX"
driver="${database.driver}" username="${database.userid}"
password="${database.password}"
schema="${database.schema}"
initialContextFactory="nop" providerURL="nop"
&tables;

<cmp20 destination="${build.source}" package="${package}"
interfacepackage="${package}"
localsuffix="EBL" beansuffix="EBBean"
localhomesuffix="EBLHome" pkclass="false"
viewtype="local" mergeDir="./velocity" readonly="false"
fkcmp="false" guid="false">
<jboss/>
</cmp20>
</middlegen>
</target>

<target name="generate-interface">
<taskdef name="ejbdoclet"
classname="xdoclet.modules.ejb.EjbDocletTask" classpathref="classpath"/>
<ejbdoclet destdir="${build.source}" mergedir="${config}"
excludedtags="@version,@author" ejbspec="2.0">
<fileset dir="${build.source}">
<include name="**/entity/**/*EBBean.java" />
</fileset>
<localinterface pattern="{0}EBL"/>
<localhomeinterface pattern="{0}EBLHome"/>
<deploymentdescriptor xmlencoding="ISO-8859-1"
destdir="${build.entity.meta}" validatexml="true" />
<jboss version="3.0" xmlencoding="ISO-8859-1"
destdir="${build.entity.meta}" validatexml="true"
datasource="java:/OracleDSX" datasourcemapping="Oracle9i" />
</ejbdoclet>
</target>

</project>

Rod Macpherson
2003-05-13 14:59:15 UTC
P.S. Even this example is more complicated that it needs to be because
we are customizing the file extentions and so forth. If you can live
with the defaults (we had to match an existing implementation precisely)
it gets even easier.

Dos Santos
2003-05-13 15:41:24 UTC
Hi! Does anybody know of a good reference book or
document for MiddleGen? I've heard that "Java
Development With Ant" by Erik Hatcher is a somewhat
good source for both middlegen and xdoclet. Has
anybody had the chance to check it out?

Thanx

http://search.yahoo.com
Rod Macpherson
2003-05-13 15:54:09 UTC
The Ant book was pretty sparse and not a good reference book for
Middlegen IMHO. Probably better of muddling through and posting question
here. Aslak Hellesoy wrote the package and as you can see he responds to
posts on a regular basis. An O'Reilly book on XDoclet with several
Middlegen chapters would be a good seller. In fact I will write O'Reilly
and suggest it. I can tell you that once you have it cranking out code
the way you want it you never have to touch it except to edit the table
list. I have to say we have not used the UI so not sure how good that is
or is not.

Eivind Waaler