[Middlegen-user] Generation errors
Ed Ross
2003-06-18 16:37:06 UTC
When a table name is the same as the primary key column name, the templates
generate multiple errors

There is an attribute that can be set in the build.xml (singlualr='xxx'
plural='xxxs' ) but these names are never used.

here is the example -

I have a table named patients (yes plural, but that's the way it is)
I have a table named rxs (perscriptions)
there is a fk relationship (one to many) between patients and rx
the code in the RxBean gets a bit confused - it generates a

public abstract java.lang.Integer getPatient();

and also generates

public abstract techrx.interfaces.PatientLocal getPatient();

The first one is used to return the patient ID that is part of the Rx

The secon one is used to return the patient object found by the fk

I tried to change the build.xml to rename the singlular form of patiens to
"indvidualPatinet", but the generator just ignored this. Any quick way to
fix this??

This E-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may
recipient, please contact the sender by reply E-mail, and destroy all copies
of the original message.
Eivind Waaler

of the original message.
Aslak Hellesøy
2003-06-19 05:26:15 UTC
This is not a bug I think. It can be solved by using a different
DbNameConverter. Search the code and docs and archives. There should be
an example somewhere.

Aslak
Ed Ross
2003-06-19 08:25:30 UTC
Not sure how to log a bug in Jira. The projects page does not include the
middlegen project.

thx
ed

Post by Ed Ross
[...]
Post by Ed Ross
use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the
intended
Post by Ed Ross
recipient, please contact the sender by reply E-mail, and destroy all
copies
of the original message.
of the original message.
Eivind Waaler
2003-06-19 09:05:56 UTC
The project is called middlegen3, this link should take you directly to
it:
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?id=10110

Select 'create new issue' in the top menu, and make sure middlegen3 is
chosen as project in the dropdown..

.eivind
Post by Ed Ross
recipient, please contact the sender by reply E-mail, and destroy all
copies
of the original message.
Ed Ross
2003-06-19 09:21:17 UTC
Well that's the problem. When I go to the link specified, I find the
middlegen project. When I go to the "Create new issue" page, Middelgen (nor
anything close) is not one of the projects on the drop down list.

Post by Ed Ross
Post by Ed Ross
fix this??
This E-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and
may
Post by Ed Ross
contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized
review,
Post by Ed Ross
recipient, please contact the sender by reply E-mail, and destroy all
copies
of the original message.
Post by Ed Ross
recipient, please contact the sender by reply E-mail, and destroy all
copies
of the original message.
of the original message.
Eivind Waaler
2003-06-19 09:32:04 UTC
Ah, you have to create a user first. Seems the projects are only available
if you're logged in.

.eivind
Post by Ed Ross
recipient, please contact the sender by reply E-mail, and destroy all
copies
of the original message.
Post by Ed Ross
recipient, please contact the sender by reply E-mail, and destroy all
copies
of the original message.
2003-06-19 11:13:39 UTC
One big problem I have w/ DbNameConverter is it seems to only be
documented in the source code. For example, the only way I even knew that
I could get Middlegen to use our own DbNameConverter class is spotting the
comment that explained this by accident while grepping the code looking
for some token.

It'd be nice if it were documented on the site. If someone could point me
at the ml discussions (date, etc) where using it in the manner you're
discussing (to avoid conflicts between table names and field names in
other tables), I'd even consider doing the work to make the documentation
--if it's appropriate given the refactoring that's occurring now (is
DbNameConverter surviving the refactoring?). We're using our own
DbNameConverter here but I had no idea people were using it to avoid
conflicts like this -- we had similar conflicts and we just resolved them
at the DB level by changing the field names (which is reasonable anyway, I
think; I don't think it's a good idea from a modeling standpoint to have a
field called Patient and a table called Patients, for example, if there is
no relationship being expressed -- why not have patient_name or something
similar in the RX table).

Personally, I think that DbNameConverter in the middlegen tree is a little
too fancy -- it makes way too many assumptions about what's "right."

Dave

Aslak Hellesøy <***@thoughtworks.net>
Sent by: middlegen-user-***@lists.sourceforge.net
06/19/2003 03:25 AM
Please respond to middlegen-user

To: middlegen-***@lists.sourceforge.net
cc:

Post by Eivind Waaler
Post by Ed Ross
recipient, please contact the sender by reply E-mail, and destroy all
copies
Post by Eivind Waaler
Post by Ed Ross
of the original message.
Ed Ross
2003-06-19 11:21:03 UTC
Well I agree about the tablenames & field names, but in our case we have
500k lines of legecy code that I don't want to change if I change the field
name.

I'm rather new to middlegen and didn't even know there was a DbNameConverter
class. I'll take a look at that thing.

thx

ed

[...]

To: middlegen-***@lists.sourceforge.net
cc:

Post by Ed Ross
recipient, please contact the sender by reply E-mail, and destroy all
copies
of the original message.