[Middlegen-user] Any ETA on next release of MiddleGen?
k***@keysolutions.com
2003-01-08 20:55:03 UTC
Latest from CVS doesn't compile. :-(

I tried replacing all the xdoclet jar files in samples/lib and it was
better,
but it still didn't compile all the way :-P

ken

-----------------------
[ejbdoclet] Generating weblogic-ejb-jar.xml.
[ejbdoclet] Generating weblogic-cmp-rdbms-jar.xml.
[ejbdoclet] Jan 8, 2003 5:13:29 PM xdoclet.template.TemplateEngine
invokeMethod
[ejbdoclet] SEVERE: Invoking method failed:
xdoclet.modules.bea.wls.ejb.Weblogic
RelationTagsHandler.forAllLeftColumnMaps, line=25 of template file:
jar:file:J:\
Win32Dev\MiddleGen\middlegen\samples\lib\xdoclet-bea-module.jar!/xdoclet/modules
/bea/wls/ejb/resources/weblogic-cmp-rdbms-jar-xml.xdt
[ejbdoclet] java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
[ejbdoclet] at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
Method)
[ejbdoclet] at
sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAcces
sorImpl.java:39)
[ejbdoclet] at
sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMet
hodAccessorImpl.java:25)
[ejbdoclet] at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
[ejbdoclet] at
xdoclet.template.TemplateEngine.invoke(TemplateEngine.java:57
7)
[ejbdoclet] at
xdoclet.template.TemplateEngine.invokeMethod(TemplateEngine.j
ava:476)
Aslak Hellesoy
2003-01-09 07:18:02 UTC
Sent: 8. januar 2003 23:56
Subject: [Middlegen-user] Any ETA on next release of MiddleGen?
Latest from CVS doesn't compile. :-(
What's the compile error? (This stuff is a runtime stacktrace).

About expected time of arrival. The community is supplying a lot of bug
reports and feature requests, but not many patches. There is no ETA I'm
afraid, but we should *try* to release Middlegen 2.0 final in Q1 2003.
Whether we succeed in theat or not will depend on community contributions.

Aslak
2003-01-09 12:21:03 UTC
Post by Aslak Hellesoy
What's the compile error? (This stuff is a runtime stacktrace).
Sorry. It's a compile error w/ the latest sample code from CVS.
I can work around it by replacing all the lib/xdoclet* files w/ the
latest xdoclet* files from the latest 1.2b2 xdoclet release, but then
it fails in the compile later on.
Post by Aslak Hellesoy
Whether we succeed in theat or not will depend on community
contributions.

Is there a "getting started in fixing middlegen" doc somewhere? It
might
help more of us switch from being users to contributors...I'm still
trying
to wrap my head around all the weird quirks w/ all the databases and
JBoss
(which doesn't seem to be as well tested as Weblogic) and what
MiddleGen
is trying to generate :-P

ken
Eivind Waaler
2003-01-09 12:45:01 UTC
Hey, have you had a look at the middlegen website:

http://boss.bekk.no/boss/middlegen/index.html

There's quite alot of useful information written by Aslak. Check out the
demo, getting started and extending middlegen sections...

Basically Middlegen creates an object view of the database meta-data that
can be used with different templates (see plugins) to generate code. The
html plugin is an example plugin written to show how "easy" it is to use
and extend the tool with your own plugins..

The most common plugin used so far (and probably the best tested as
well..) is the entitybean plugin. It generates one Bean file for each
table in the database, then XDoclet is run on this Bean file to generate
all the other stuff (interfaces, deployment descriptors etc.) that we need
to make a complete cmp entitybean.

.eivind
2003-01-09 16:56:01 UTC
Post by Eivind Waaler
to make a complete cmp entitybean.
Thanks for the pointer, Eivind.
Hopefully, that'll help some of the other folks on the list too.

I'm not up to speed to even get MiddleGen sampless to work with
Hypersonic
and JBoss 3.0.4 yet :-P

ken
Aslak Hellesoy
2003-01-09 20:31:09 UTC
Post by k***@keysolutions.com
Post by Aslak Hellesoy
What's the compile error? (This stuff is a runtime stacktrace).
Sorry. It's a compile error w/ the latest sample code from CVS.
Are you going to show us the compile error or not? Is it secret??

Aslak
k***@keysolutions.com
2003-01-09 20:52:04 UTC
Post by Aslak Hellesoy
Are you going to show us the compile error or not? Is it secret??
Sorry, Aslak. I guess my response was too terse :-P
The error I posted (what you thought was a runtime error) was actually
the compile/build error. It was a runtime error in xdoclet from the
code that was generated by middlegen. Hope that helps.

ken
Aslak Hellesoy
2003-01-09 21:11:06 UTC
Sent: 9. januar 2003 23:53
Post by Aslak Hellesoy
Are you going to show us the compile error or not? Is it secret??
Sorry, Aslak. I guess my response was too terse :-P
The error I posted (what you thought was a runtime error) was actually
the compile/build error. It was a runtime error in xdoclet from the
code that was generated by middlegen. Hope that helps.
Ok, misunderstanding.

To be correct, the error message you posted is *not* a compile error. It's a
runtime error in XDoclet. Looking at the stack trace, it looks like you have
some missing/weird XDoclet classes on your classpath. Here are some things
you could try:

-Don't fiddle with the xdoclet jar files that come with Middlegen
-Make sure you don't have any XDoclet jars in $ANT_HOME/lib
-Make sure your CLASSPATH environment variable is empty

If this doesn't help, please post the full stack trace.

HTH,
Aslak
ken