[Middlegen-user] Working version
Mitchell Cohen
2003-05-12 14:13:09 UTC
Can anybody tell me how the get a working version with the latest patches
and bug fixes?
Aslak Hellesoy
2003-05-12 14:29:03 UTC
What do you mean? Do you need help with how to use CVS or patch?

Aslak.
2003-05-12 15:32:25 UTC
Should I get the latest code from the HEAD branch of CVS? In a previous
email you seemed to indicate that there was a nasty bug. Would I be better
off using the beta 1 release with some patches?

Aslak Hellesoy
2003-05-12 16:58:03 UTC
Cohen
Sent: 12. mai 2003 19:31
Should I get the latest code from the HEAD branch of CVS? In a previous
email you seemed to indicate that there was a nasty bug. Would I
be better
off using the beta 1 release with some patches?
HEAD is currently broken. Here are some safer bets:
1) Use the latest release and apply patches yourself.
2) Get the code from the MAIN branch from before Jan 20 2003 (This is when
the nasty bug was introduced).

As mentioned earlier today, Middlegen is currently being refactored, and we
hope to release a more stable version with many bug fixes in a couple of
months.

HTH,
Aslak
Steve
2003-05-14 17:41:05 UTC
How do you do this?

I am willing to try either, but I am not fluent enough with CVS to know how
to checkout by date. Google could not find me any help on this.

Also, as I am on WinXP, what is the best way to apply patches?

(I am using WinCVS as my client if that makes any difference.)

Better yet, is there a site where I can download a complete src just prior
to the 1-20-2003 bug? How does one get/create the latest available? I have
2.0b1 and am running into a bug that someone claims was fixed somewhere in
CVS. :(

TIA,

Steve B.

Aslak Hellesøy
2003-05-14 17:57:01 UTC
Sent: 14. mai 2003 21:40
How do you do this?
I am willing to try either, but I am not fluent enough with CVS
to know how
to checkout by date. Google could not find me any help on this.
Install TortoiseCVS. It makes it very easy. Nice dialogs all over the place
;-)

Or RTFM the CVS manual: http://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs.html
Also, as I am on WinXP, what is the best way to apply patches?
Install Cygwin, so you get a working patch.exe

Then follow instructions at the XDoclet JIRA:
http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/xdoclet/

This of course requires that the patch you wish to apply is in diff format.

If you need more CVS help, this isn't really the best place to ask ;-)

HTH,
Aslak
Steve
2003-05-15 13:25:09 UTC
Thanks, Aslak. A good CVS resource is just what I was hoping Google
would find for me. You beat Google hands-down - and respond almost
as quickly!

I was able to download a pre-bug version and the error was averted.
Thankyou for your patience and assistance with my neophyte questions.