[Middlegen-user] Cannot compile ("variable interfaces")
Juraci Krohling Costa
2003-10-05 19:08:06 UTC
Hi All,

Since yesterday night i'm trying to use Middlegen, but there is something i'm missing. Middlegen opens the GUI window, I click on "Generate" and it seems to work. After closing the window, the rest of the process begin done, but stops when it tries to compile Struts files, hanging with errors like this:

[javac] symbol : variable MIN_VALUE
[javac] location: class java.lang.Boolean
[javac] if(getStatus() == java.lang.Boolean.MIN_VALUE) {
[javac] ^
[javac] /opt/downloads/middlegen-2.0-b1/contatos/build/gen-src/contatos/web/struts/TelefoneForm.java:32: cannot resolve symbol

With the example "airline", everything is done successfully, so, i guess that the problem is on my build.xml.
I've uploaded the build.xml and build.properties to www.partenon.com.br/contatos/, to someone verify if its all ok.

System:
Linux Slackware 9.0 (Kernel 2.4.21)
Middlegen on /opt/downloads/middlegen-2.0-b1
PostgreSQL 7.3.4
JBoss 3.2.1 w/ Tomcat.

TIA,
juca
Gavin Sinclair
2003-10-05 22:57:06 UTC
Post by Juraci Krohling Costa
Hi All,
Since yesterday night i'm trying to use Middlegen, but there is
something i'm missing. Middlegen opens the GUI window, I click on
"Generate" and it seems to work. After closing the window, the rest
of the process begin done, but stops when it tries to compile Struts
[javac] symbol : variable MIN_VALUE
[javac] location: class java.lang.Boolean
[javac] if(getStatus() == java.lang.Boolean.MIN_VALUE) {
[javac] ^
[javac] /opt/downloads/middlegen-2.0-b1/contatos/build/gen-src/contatos/web/struts/TelefoneForm.java:32: cannot resolve symbol
With the example "airline", everything is done successfully, so, i
guess that the problem is on my build.xml. I've uploaded the
build.xml and build.properties to www.partenon.com.br/contatos/, to
someone verify if its all ok.
I don't think it's your build.xml. I had a similar problem compiling
at the struts stage. Middlegen or XDoclet - not sure which - had
generated some code like the following:

java.math.BigDecimal strands = ...;

java.math.BigDecimal id = new java.math.BigDecimal(strands);

Java, in its infinite wisdom, can't construct a BigDecimal from
another BigDecimal. Really. So I hand-edited the code and moved on.
I suggest you might do the same. That means changing your build.xml
so break the chain of dependencies. You don't want Middlegen being
run every single time or you'll trash your hand-edited code.

The problem I encountered was already reported on sourceforge.

Cheers,
Gavin
Eivind Waaler
2003-10-06 04:33:03 UTC
The Struts plugin was really never quite finished.. It's still in a beta
version. The plan is to finish it once we get the Middelgen3 core up and
running.

I guess hand editing the code, or just commenting out the whole struts
plugin is the best thing to do for now.

.eivind